Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Undo Button

Yesterday when I woke up, it took me forever to get it together to finally get on a train to go to Long Island. My work holiday "gala," I believe, is what my CEO labeled it, was gorgeous, posh, and fun. He announced an unfreeze on the raises and where our new building is going to be (1 Hudson Place). I also, as predicted, did some networking and got pretty sloshed. No one noticed. I was nursing a massive hangover and I had to go to my parents for the weekend to help bake Christmas cookies for the holidays. Sounds corny but it's a fun tradition, and I always try to pitch in with the goal that my mom won't cry around the holidays this year and cancel Christmas for next year. Also, even though my family can be irritating to the point of Chinese Water Torture, both of my sisters go and I would feel extremely left out if I didn't. (Youngest Child Syndrome.)
So I'm cleaning up my apartment and naturally, I'm jamming glassware into my tiny dishwasher, (I swear it is half the size that dishwashers should be - I can fit a plate and a cup - max - in it - what a waste of electricity), when I add that last cup, and it messes up the whole flow of all the other dirty dishes around it. A glass breaks, a casserole dish moves out of place, I can't get it closed, it was pure chaos.
Immediately the thought that went through my head was, "Damn it, I wish I could hit the undo button and go back to the precarious way it was positioned before I put in that last cup, when it was still rolling closed." You know, how when you are on the computer and you delete something you shouldn't have, or copy and paste over something you didn't mean to, you just hit undo and it goes back to the way it was, the way you wanted it to be. Since I was hungover and alone for the first time in weeks, this sent my mind into a whirlwind of thought. How many times would it be beneficial to just have an undo button in life. Especially for someone like me, that doesn't have a filter and just blurts out exactly what is on her mind. Do you know how many less people I would have offended if there was an undo button in life? I would probably have way more friends (I have enough) and even my dream job if I could just undo some stuff. Ok, let's not get carried away. However, I did get into a pretty big fight with my boyfriend last night and I just wished I could click undo and make it go back to before. There are so many situations I could use that undo button. We could change split seconds that make up for whole life changes. Or is that what people call fate? What would you use an undo button in life for?

1 comment:

  1. A few activities my alter ego Whiskey Trish took part in. Gaining weight after high school - age is against me in the weight-loss process! And leaving home the days I've been in car accidents - or can I undo idiotic driving by other people and bad weather?

    ReplyDelete